Thursday, October 28, 2004

Antony, what a leader...

I admire Antony's courage of challenging Caesar individually. But his other actions reveal his incapability as a leader, or more precisely one of the triumvirs. Being a leader, he is blinded by his stubborness. In Act 3 scene 7, Antony has totally ignored the advice from his advisors and experienced soldiers, and insisted in fighting by sea. Antony's pride and arrogance toward his own military strength have finally deceived him and led to his tragic defeat. On the other hand, we see Antony going into "party mode" at the end of Act 3 even in this situation. I can totally see the reason why Enobarbus finally decides to leave Antony. It is just shameful for a leader to act in such a stubborn and ridiculous way. Looking back at Philo's opening speech, I can clearly see how Antony has "transform'd / Into a strumpet's fool" (1.1.13-4). However, is this quality, as Ledipus describes, "hereditary" (1.4.13) , or is it something that is brought forth because of the presence of Cleopatra?

Nevertheless, I would be shameful to see a leader having a celebration after a tragic defeat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home